Who are What You Read

Monday 30 August 2010

I was 5 years old when I learned how to read. I started reading comics. It was easier because you can associate the words to the pictures drawn on each comic book panel.

I was in high school when I seriously pursued reading short stories from our English subject text book.I was in college when I picked up my first paperback novel.

Ever since then, I have been reading magazines, news paper articles, fiction, graphic novels, poems, instruction manuals, songbooks, and mostly anything interesting that is printed on paper. Years progressed and I got my job, I started to find my self spending time and money on bookstores just to have a quick browse or to buy more books that I wouldn't even finish reading. Books and magazines filing up on top of the other. Some are good, some are bad.

Fast forward to the present day along came the thing called "The Internet". Everyday we now find ourselves reading more stuffs in a different way. We do not read hand written letters anymore. Instead we read emails, online chat messages, offline chat messages, tweets, SMS, blogs, status updates, online forums, E books, updated user profiles, photo comments, and other forms of electronically printed words on big and tiny gadget screens.

Is it a good thing or a bad thing? The good thing is less clutter to our shelves and tables because reading electronic saves paper. But our Inbox and hard drives are being loaded with gigabytes of data. We can drown with the sea of information that the internet provides. The bad thing? Hours being spent online uses electricity that contributes to global warming. Now which way it should be? Save the trees or save the ozone layer? Now that is a predicament.

Anyways, the whole point of this rant is we do have a lot of things to read. Be it online or offline. What really matters is we can still choose what to read and there's plenty of things to read. There's a sea of information in the internet. But still there's also a certain pleasure reading a book. Choose you own adventure. Let's use God's given gift. The ability to read, and the ability to comprehend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 

Browse