Why You Must Put Yourself First

Monday 30 August 2010

I work with many women in my coaching practice and it's interesting to note that whenever I start working with someone and ask them what their goals are and why they want to accomplish those goals, it's nearly always "so I can help more people."

Helping each other is a wonderful thing and I think it's what we're put on this earth to do. However, I don't believe that we're meant to do it at the expense of ourselves. What I usually point out to my clients as they very passionately tell me about their goals and dreams and their reasons for wanting them, is that they are making it all about everyone else and never about themselves.

The problem with that is that it depletes you. When you are constantly focused on everyone else, to the exclusion of yourself there is an energetic 'disconnect.' How can you take care of others if you don't take care of yourself first?

Many women are struggling today - and that's not to say that men aren't, but it's usually in a different way. The women I have the privilege of working with are incredibly talented, creative, smart and capable, and yet they are struggling to achieve their goals and dreams, and they are understandably frustrated.

It seems that often when women have a goal of making a certain amount of money, they feel as though it is not good to want it for themselves. It's as if wanting money for themselves is wrong. They often tell me "it's not about the money" or "I don't really care about the money" and it's all about helping others. Ladies, it's okay to want money. Money is simply another form of energy and it's something we all need. There is nothing wrong with wanting money, unless you plan to do something bad with it. Money in and of itself is not bad or evil.

I think this comes from our conditioning. Somehow, we're not supposed to want anything for ourselves, we're supposed to serve everyone else. But think how much more you can serve others and how much more you can do for others when you are taken care of. When you have enough money that you can do whatever you want, you have the freedom to be able to help others, but you're doing it now because you are taken care of and you choose to help others, not to help others at the expense of yourself.

Do you see the difference? I hope so. Because now, when you look at the goals that you have for yourself and your career or business, I want you to put yourself at the top of that list. What do you want for yourself first and foremost? It's not selfish to put yourself first - in fact I think it's more selfish not to, because if you don't then you really are depriving others of everything that you have to offer, because you cannot give when you're experiencing lack yourself.

So change that thinking and start putting yourself first - then see how many more people you can help, and you'll feel good about it because you're taking care of yourself first.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Linda_Binns

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 

Browse